Liffey Sound FM is a not for profit Community Radio service run by volunteers licensed to serve the Community of Lucan and its environs.
Liffey Sound FM is committed to serving its community irrespective of creed, class, colour or race; to giving a voice to those not served by the mainstream broadcasting services; to educating, informing and inspiring people in our community and to promoting a sense of community and civic pride. To this end Liffey Sound FM has adopted the following Mission Statement:
- Liffey Sound FM recognizes the right of all to access to community radio and offers its facilities to the community of Lucan to enable that society to express itself freely and without editorial interference, subject to the law and accepted standards of taste and decency so as to promote cultural diversity, community integration and identity, thereby creating an informed, democratic, peaceful, tolerant and pluralist community;
- Liffey Sound FM seeks to ensure that all residents of Lucan have the opportunity to participate in its ownership which shall be democratically managed and shall actively seek out the participation by all in its programming for the benefit, entertainment and development of the community;
- Liffey Sound FM shall ensure that its editorial policy is free from government, commercial, religious and political influences;
- Liffey Sound FM shall ensure access by minorities, minority interests, and marginalized and disadvantaged groups and subject to the resources available to it will assist such groups in making use of its facilitites.
- Liffey Sound FM shall be objective and impartial in its news programming and to this end will draw on a diversity of reliable sources of information; In its current affairs programming it shall ensure that of issues relating to current affairs is fair to all interests concerned thereby enabling the people of Lucan to make informed democratic decisions and enhancing democratic participation by the community. Liffey Sound FM guarantees a right of reply to any person or group aggrieved.
- Liffey Sound FM will be run on a “not-for-profit” basis and will seek to secure funding for a wide variety of sources so as to guarantee the maintenance of its editorial independence. Sponsors, advertisers and other funding sources shall have no influence over the development or implementation of editorial policy.
- Liffey Sound FM shall foster the ethos of volunteer participation in the management and operation of the station, shall recognize and respect their contribution, shall recognize the right of paid workers to join trade unions, shall provide satisfactory working conditions for both and shall foster an atmosphere of mutual respect between volunteers and paid workers.
- Liffey Sound FM shall adopt, operate and account to its owners for management, employment and programming practices that are non-discriminatory. Such practices shall be publicly accessible.
Liffey Sound FM, noting that all community radio stations that subscribe to the community Radio Charter for Europe share the same ideals, shall using modern communications technology to foster networking and programme exchanges with like-minded organization.